Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Scenes from an Ultrasound: Part Deux

Ultrasound Tech: Wow… she’s big….

Us: Really? How big?

Ultrasound Tech: Well, the measurements put her at 3 lbs. 2 oz.

Us: Hmmm….

*cut to OB’s office*

OB: She’s a big baby!

Me: Yeah, the tech mentioned that.

OB: No, really- only about 15-20% of babies are that big!

Me: Well, that figures. Her Daddy was 10 lbs. 3 oz.

OB: (palpating my abdomen) Yep, she’s a big big girl.

Me: Terrific.

So the general consensus seems to be that Vivian is A) healthy and B) large. This suits me just fine. I’d much rather partake of an epidural and other God-given medical interventions to birth my behemoth child than to worry over a tee-niny baby in the NICU. But don’t think Mama won’t push for the induction if Baby Girl continues to plump up at this rate.
Here’s the Reader’s Digest report on the physical aspects of the pregnancy.
Large. So large.
Heartburn, reflux, repeat.
Can’t reach itchy ankles.
Four words: feet in my ribs.
But the hard part is that I’m now officially riding the “pregnancy emotional roller-coster” as my favorite POS book called it. I cry. A lot. And I’m so damn tired I can’t see straight. Which probably doesn’t help the crying. It’s a crappy gig, since I am not accustomed to being unable to control these things with an iron… um… tear duct.
Don’t get me wrong- I am well aware these are temporary conditions and I will gladly do this for ten more weeks to get a healthy happy baby. But only doing it for nine weeks wouldn’t suck. Just sayin’.

3 comments:

halloweenlover said...

They told me that Gabe's head was HUGE, but he ended up being fine when he came out. Normal sized head and 7 pounds 3 ounces. I was a little disappointed after all the hype ; )

ymp said...

Good news!

ccw said...

That is a big baby! I don't blame you for wanting every comfort you can get for labor and delivery.

I was a complete baby about the pain and my biggest baby was 6lbs, 9oz.